Friday, December 8, 2006

On The Way Home From Work

The light at
Wintergreen & Beach Blvd. is red
And so I stop.
A man with ragged clothes is on the corner.

He just stands there solemn and holds
A simple cardboard sign that says,
“I am human too you know.”

He calls himself a knight.
His sign, his shield;
His cup, his sword;
He fights the chilling wind
sweeping through the suburbs.

The way he looks it begs reaction.
My instinct is to look away.
But he is human too I know
And so I fix my eyes upon this man.
This man without a home.

His hair’s sun-bleached
His body’s burnt.
My face a frozen stare.
He sweats profusely.
It's hot outside
And suddenly I am cold.
I turn the A.C. off.

The warm red light turns green.
Its cold as cash and traffic flows.
And he is human too I know.
Yet even so, I press the gas and go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

human. we're human too. i liked it.

Mike Morabito said...

Dude this is good stuff. Keep writing.

-Mike Morabito

AJ Harbison said...

Dude, congrats on getting a blog!

Does this mean you'll start reading mine now? ;)

I really liked this post. Probably about 50% of the time I drive to work, there will be a guy standing on the corner of the freeway on-ramp holding a sign. Nothing that creative, but the same idea. It's tough. But I, too, press the gas and go.

AJ
<><

Raelynn Ann said...

That was good.
I really struggle with how to react... If I stare are they a freak, if I look away are they shameful? If I give them money will they go eat, if I deny them will they starve? With only a few moments at a stop light, the questions burden me so.

bellevoce said...

DJ,

Wow, terrific! One day when I am a published author, your work shall be included in one of my various anthologies of poetry. haha, lol.

But you raise a good point. We know of people who need help, yet we do nothing. This extends to even more than here in America, but around the world. Have you seen Blood Diamond? Because whether you have or have not, I would enjoy it if you would read my most recent post. And I would also love to hear your opinion on the movie and the situation.

Thank you so much,
Marge